Tuesday, September 30, 2014

T E X A S : Days 1 - 4




Hello, All!

I thought I'd do a quick roundup of the happenings so far down south! First off, it's hot. The air is hot, the car seats are hot, and don't forget that skillet handles are hot (oh, I guess that's for me). The drinks are HUGE and ordering a small means you will receive something marginally less jurassic than the "regular". (AKA: "Texas size") The sky is vast, the grackles are squeaky, the cigarettes are strong and the beer is lite. It's either BBQ or tacos around here and THAT suits me just fine.  Anything else is dipped in velveeta or deep fried (please see turkey legs).  

I've spent the last few days in New Braunfels with my pals Kristi and Jamie and their 3 year old, Teddie Claire. We've hit the Comol County Fair, shared already many beers and pontificated on all things music.  I even got to scoot to San Antonio on Saturday to take in my good pals Elijah and Marc Ford and Ryan Bingham at the Moonamp Festival.  It was a badass night enjoying songs under the night sky and clinking beers with my friends Grant, Sarah and Ashley. I came home with 2 tall boys in Lonestar in my purse.  Never trust a Canadian with a backstage pass!

Kristi has been so kind to book me 2 gigs this week.  One on Wednesday at The River Road Icehouse and other on Friday at The Black Whale Pub.  These gigs should be interesting as last night I decided to grab a skillet handle (that had just come out of a 400 degree oven) and gave myself quite the burn. Safety third! Luckily my host is the ultimate Mama and a remedy of a vinegar soaked cloth has done wonders.  I found it worked even better wrapped around a Miller Lite.  I'm always thinking outside the box.

I'll keep you kids posted, currently I'm drinking a horchata that's the size of my torso.

Adios Amigos!

love: g


No comments: